What exactly is an implant?
An implant is a lot less scary than it sounds. It’s really only a replacement tooth root constructed from titanium. It provides a strong foundation for a fixed or removable replacement tooth which is made to match your natural teeth.
Why choose an implant?
- Unlike a bridge, implants don’t require healthy teeth to be cut down
- Dental crowns and bridges have to be replaced every 10-15 years – however, a well cared for implant can last a lifetime
- Implants are easier to care for. You can even floss between them
- Implants look and feel more natural than other alternatives
- Implants prevent bone loss
- You can eat the foods you want
Will it hurt?
Because we use local anaesthetic, there should be very little discomfort during the treatment. After the procedure, there is usually some mild soreness which is easily treated with over-the-counter painkillers.
Are implants safe?
Implants are a safe, well-established treatment. However, as with other surgical implants there is no lifetime guarantee. Complications can arise with all surgical procedures, but you will be carefully assessed and informed of any potential risks before commencing treatment.
Most complications are preventable and our dental professionals can reassure you about these issues.
How can I make my implant last longer?
Keeping your implant clean helps it to last longer. As with your natural teeth, the best way to look after your implant is to floss and brush regularly. Many implant wearers also visit the hygienist for a professional clean.